The PROHIBITION AND EXCISE DEPARTMENT deals with regulation of possession, Production, manufacture, selling, buying, and transporting of liquor. It plays the dual role of enforcing prohibition of country liquor (Arrack) and procuring revenue through regulation of Indian Made Liquor and Toddy. The Department, along with other State and Central Government agencies also enforces the law relating to Narcotic drugs and Psychotropic substances. Excise Revenue is the second largest source for the State Government.
Regulating the Production, Manufacture, Possession, Transport, Import, Export, Purchase and Sale of Liquor.
- Control of Excise related crimes through detection, prevention, investigation,and prosecution of offences under the law.
- Prevention of illicit trafficking in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic substances under N. D. P. S. Act, 1985.
- Levying and collection of duties of Excise and countervailing duties on alcoholic liquors for human consumption.
- Collection of other Excise revenues like license fee, Export fee, import fee, fines, toddy rentals, tree tax etc.
- Formation of Toddy Tappers Cooperative Societies under A. P. Cooperative Societies Act.