Functions and Objectives
The functions of A P Urdu Academy are specified in the memorandum of
association of the constitution of Urdu Academy, registered under the Andhra
Pradesh (Telangana Area) Public societies Registration Act, 1350 Fasli (Act
I of 1350 Fasli).
The objectives of the academy are
- To preserve, foster and develop the Urdu Language and its literature.
- To work for promotion, development dissemination and advancement of Urdu
Language and literature.
- To work for the promotion, development, reform and advancement of Urdu script
and to undertake the printing and publication of the literature of the other
Indian Languages in the Urdu Script.
- To evolve methodology and aids for the study and teaching of Urdu as (a)
mother tongue, and (b) second language at different levels.
- To compile vocabulary lists for various standards and to prepare descriptive
grammar for the Urdu Language.
- To promote and undertake research in linguistics of practical application
to the objects of the Academy.
- undertake, organise and facilitate study courses, conferences, lectures,
seminars, summer institutes and the like.
- To undertake and provide for the publication of books periodicals, journals
and research papers in furtherance of the objects of the Academy.
- To promote and to encourage by awarding prizes and by other incentives,
the production of original books in the Urdu Language on various subjects
for use in schools and colleges.
- To advise the Government in all matters referred by them to the Academy.
- To institute and award fellowships, scholarships, stipends and prizes from
time to time.
- To constitute such Committee or Committees or such study groups or study
groups or such working groups as the Academy may consider necessary for the
performance of its functions.
- To subscribe to or to co-operate with other institutions having objects
similar to those of the Academy in such manner as may be conductive to the
realization of their common objects and to depute its members(s) to serve
on the Committees of these institutions as its representative (s).
- To start and run a Central Urdu Library at Hyderabad.
- To receive gifts, grants, donations or benefactions from the Government
and to receive requests, donations or transfers or movable or immovable properties
from test- ators, donors and transferors, as the case may be :
Provided that the previous approval of the Government is obtained in the case
of acquisition of immovable property.
Provided also that no bequest, donation, or transfer shall be accepted by
the Academy which in its opinion, involves condition or obligations inconsistent
with the functions and objects of the Academy.
- To build, construct, maintain, repair, adopt alter, improve, develop, or
furnish any building or work necessary or convenient for the purposes of the
- To fix and demand such fees and other charges as may be laid down by the
rules and bye -laws.
- To maintain a fund to which shall be credited:
- All moneys provided by the State Government.
- All fees and other charges received by the Academy.
- All moneys received by the Academy by way of grants, gifts, donations,
benefactions, bequest, or transfers.
- All moneys received by the Academy in any other manner or from any other
- To deposit all moneys credited to the fund in such scheduled banks or to
invest them in such manner as the Academy may decide.
- To establish a provident fund for the benefit of the employees of the Academy.
- To draw, make accept, endorse, discount, execute, sign, issue and otherwise
deal with the Cheques, hundies, drafts, certificates receipts, Government
securities, Promissory Notes Bills of Exchange or other instruments and Securities
whether negotiable or note.
- To meet the expenses of the Academy including expenses incurred in the exercise
of its powers and discharges of its functions out of the Fund.
- To deals with any property belonging to or vested in the Academy in such
manner as the Academy may, with the previous approval of the Government, deem
fit for advancing the objects of the Academy.
- To make rules for the conduct of the affairs of the Academy ; and to vary
amend or annual them from time to time with the previous approvals of the
- To perform such other functions as may be deemed necessary by the Academy
for advancing the causes of the Urdu Language and Literature or as may be
necessary, incidental or conductive to the realization of all or any of the
To encourage the Students to Study with Urdu Medium.
- Scholarships (E.B.C. & Merit)
- Makdoom Award - Quli Qutub -Shah Award- Mir Osman Ali Khan Award - Sir Kishan Prashad Award-Safi Award.
- Life time Achievement Award.
- Awards on Literary Books.
- Best Urdu Teachers Award
- Best Urdu Students Award
- Financial Assistance
- Financial Assistance to Urdu Libraries
- Financial Assistance to Voluntary Organisations Working for Cultural Development
- Infrastructural Facilities to Urdu Schools
- Professional Centres
- Urdu Open Schools
- Other Projects
- Publication of Bi- Monthly "Qaumi Zaban", Publication
of Literary Books
- Urdu Text Books for Degree Classes
- Telugu Urdu Dictionary
- Urdu Bhavan / Shadi Khanas
- To Run Regional & Dist. Centres (Libraries & Reading Room) in the State
To encourage the Urdu Medium Teachers.
- More than 2,87,493 Students are studying with Urdu Medium at School level
- 4000 and more students are studying in Junior Colleges and 2000 Students at Degree College and more than 500 at P.G. level.
- Issue of notification in all leading News Papers by July every year and receipt of Application Forms and to computerization.
- Holding of meeting of scholarship Committee for finalization and release of Scholarships to the Students.
Paper Notification along with proforma will be published in the
News Papers, Proposals should reach this office through D.E.Os. A committee
consisting of President A.P. Urdu Academy Director S.C.E.R.T., Joint Secretary
to Govt., Edn. Dept., one senior D.E.O. and Director/Secretary Urdu Academy
will finalise the list of Best Teacher Award.
To encourage the Students who are studying with Urdu Medium.
Particulars are called for from commissioner, S.S.C. Board and D.E.Os. in the State to send the list of Rank holders in VIIth & Xth Class for each Dist.
A committee consisting of 5 members will finalize the list of Best Urdu Students Award.
To manuscript for publication, to periodicals and Magazines,
to Urdu Literary in shape of Books, to Urdu News Agencies.
There is one central library at Hyderabad. Apart from this 32 Libraries/Reading Centres are running in District.
Every month more than 30,000 persons are utilizing the Libraries in the State.
Govt. provides financial assistance to various cultural organisations which are working in various fields like Educational , Professional and Technical Education.
Various Non-Govt. organisations working specially in Villages/ Mandals are encouraged by extending financial assistance to them.
Govt. will constitute a Committee. The said committee called
for applications for grant-in-aid through Dist. Collectors . All applications
/ Proposals received from Dist. Collectors will be consolidated and forwarded
to Govt. for issue of G.O.. Urdu Academy will release the grants to voluntary
organizations as per Govt. Orders.
The existing conditions of Urdu Medium Schools with reference to infrastructure facilities are not encouraging.
To improve the existing facilities of this schemes,
- Paper notification calling application for grant of infrastructural facilities.
- Grant will be released to applications recommend by Dist. Collectors.
- Every year Govt. provides financial assistance to Urdu Schools.
Diploma in Computer Application courses (17), Computer Training
Centres, Urdu Type Writing Course, Urdu Short Hand Course, Diploma in Translation
Urdu Typewriting Lower/ Higher Grades Coaching & Training is arranged on free of cost to Urdu Medium Students.
This facility of training is provided from 1988. So far a large numbers of students have passed Urdu Typewriting Exam conducted by the Board of Technical Education.
Diploma in Computer Application Course is started, under "Roshni"
Package for Urdu Knowing people to develop the skill of Information Technology
this course is affiliated with S.B.T.E. The duration of this course is six months
consisting of 90 students.
There are 17 Computer Centres working in 13 districts where Urdu
is 2nd official language.
This Scheme is meant for the Urdu Mother tongue drop outs at
primary level in 8 districts, 100 Urdu Open Schools established (Hyderabad 40,
Ranga Reddy 10, Medak 08, Nizamabad 08, Kurnool 10, Guntur 08, Cuddapah 08,
With this scheme literacy can be improved specially Girls Education in slum areas can be improved.
The duration of the scheme is 10 months. Application called for from N.G.Os. for running Urdu Open Schools through Dist. Collectors. The Dist. Collector in consult with D.E.O., D.M.W.O., finalize the application and forward the selected list to A.P. Urdu Academy Hyderabad.