In compliance with the directions of the Supreme Court in Mandal Case(Indra Sawhney Vs Union of India 1992) to set up permanent B.C. Commissions, the Andhra Pradesh Commission for Backward Classes was constituted under the A.P. Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993(Act No. 20 of 1993) and started functioning from 31.3.1994. The body of the Commission consists the following Members nominated by the Govt.
- A chairperson who is or has been a Judge of High Court or a retired Judge of the Supreme Court
- A Social Scientist
- Two persons who have special knowledge matters relating to backward classes; and
- A Member Secretary who shall be an officer of the Govt. in the rank of Secretary to the Govt.
The present body of the Commission which was reconstituted from 25.09.2008 consists of the following Members.
- Justice Dalava Subrahmanyam - Chairman
- Vacant - Member
- Sri Ch. Pandu Ranga - Member
- Sri Ch. Raghuram Prasad - Member
- Sri N.Bangara Raju - Member Secretary
The term of Chairperson/ Members is for three years from the date they assumed office which may be extended for a period not exceeding six months at a time. The Member Secretary is a regular officer and the present incumbent assumed charge on 7.2.2009.
The functions of Commission
The functions of the Commission are:
- to examine requests for inclusion of any class of citizens as backward classes in the list and hear complaints of over inclusion or under inclusion of any backward class in such list and tender such advise to the Govt. as it deems appropriate,
- to make recommendations on any other matter relating to the backward classes that may be referred to it by the Govt. from time to time,
- to make an interim report in regard to any castes or classes in whose case urgent action, necessary under the Act in the opinion of the Govt.,
- to enquire into specific complaints with regard to the non-observance of the rule of reservation in the admissions into educational institutions and also reservation of appointments to posts/services under the Govt. and other local authorities or other authority in the State.
THE ANDHRA PRADESH GAZETTEE
PART IV-B EXTRAORDINARY
PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
No.33 HYDERABAD, WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 8,1993
ANDHRA PRADESH ACTS, ORDINANCES AND REGULATIONS Etc.,
The following Act of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly which was reserved by the Governor on the 12th September, 1993 for the consideration assent of the President received the assent of the President on the 3rd December, 1993, and the said assent is hereby first published on the 8th December, 1993 in the Andhra Pradesh Gazette for general information.
ACT NO.20 OF 1993
AN ACT TO CONSTITUTE A COMMISSION FOR THE BACKWARD CLASSES OTHER THAN SCHEDULED CASTES AND SCHEDULED TRIBES IN THE STATE OF ANDHRA PRADESH AND TO PROVIDE FOR MATTERS CONNECTED THEREWITH OR INCIDENTAL THERETO.
BE it enacted by the Legislative Assembly of the State of Andhra Pradesh in the Forty fourth Year of the Republic of India as follow:
- Chapter 1 (PRELIMNARY)
- Chapter 2 (ANDHRA PRADESH COMMISSION FOR BACKWARD CLASSES)
- Chapter 3 (FUNCTIONS AND POWERS OF THE COMMISSION)
- Chapter 4 (FINANCE, ACCOUNTS AND AUDIT)
- Chapter 5 (MISCELLANEOUS)
LIST OF SOCIALLY AND EDUCATIONALLY BACKWARD CLASSES
(As per Report of Anantaraman Commission vide G.O.Ms.No.1793, Edn., dt.23.9.1970,
amended from time to time as on 09.3.2009)
- Group A (Aboriginal tribes Vimuktha Jathis Nomadic and Semi Nomadic tribes etc.,)
- Group B (VOCATIONAL)
- Group C (HARIJAN CONVERTS)
- Group D (OTHER CLASSES)
- Group E (Socially and Educationally Backward Classes of Muslims)