Architecture of Hyderabad during the CIB period
Set up in 1912 after the devastating floods of 1908, the City Improvement Board
(CIB) functioned for nearly half a decade and built new roads, cleared slums,
constructed housing colonies and several public buildings particularly during
the nineteen thirties. Redevelopment of localities, roads and the Musi
riverfront by the CIB triggered the construction of several city landmarks like
the Osmania General Hospital, the High Court and the Moazam Jahi Market.
Several European architects such as Vincent J. Esch designed these buildings
and attempted a synthesis of European, Islamic and Hindu architectural
traditions and motifs as can be seen in the Osmania Arts College building
designed by Monsieur Jasper.