Established in 1932, the Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation started
as a unit of the Nizam State Railways-Road Transport Division with 27 buses.
Today, with an 18, 900-strong bus fleet, RTC is the largest
state transport undertaking in the world. Apart from operating city and inter-district
buses the Corporation buses carry passengers to states to Tamil Nadu, Orissa,
Karnataka and Maharashtra covering a distance of 6 million kilometers every
day. More than 13 million passengers travel in RTC busses every day and it has
a massive 1, 28 lakh employee's strength.
Providing a road transport with adequate passenger amenities is a challenging
task which APSRTC has been taking head-on quite successfully. During the 68
years, since its origin, APSRTC has registered a phenomenal growth and occupied
a prime position among all the passenger Road Transport Undertakings in the
world. It has a network of 8678 routes with in and outside the State, operating
from 213 Bus depots, it operates 62.13 lakh kilometers per day, transporting
about 109.83 lakh passengers everyday.
Apart from being honored with the "Road Safety Award"
by the UK-based Chartered Institute of Transport, the corporation has been consecutively
winning awards for productivity and fuel efficiency beating all other state
road transport corporations of the country.
Types of Buses:
In tune with the public demand, the APSRTC is operating the following types
of Buses catering to various sections of the Society.
- Air Conditioned Sleeper coach, Air conditioned coach, Luxury coaches and
Express buses for intercity commuters.
- Village Link services connecting villages to the nearest Mandal / Revenue
- Graamani Services to cater to the needs of peripheral areas of towns.
- Rythu Bazar services for transporting Milk, Vegetables, etc., to the nearest
Rythu Bazars from the villages.
- City Services - Metro Liner, Metro Express and Ordinary buses to cater to
the needs of Urban commuters.
- Ordinary buses for Intra - district and Inter - district operations.
Concessions / Free travel facilities extended to various sections of society.
- Free Bus Pass to all the students below 12 years of age to travel from
the residence to school and back.
- Free Bus Pass to Girl students studying upto class X to travel from the residence
to school and back.
- Slab rated quarterly route bus pass to the students studying in Colleges
- Located in cities, towns for a minimum travel of 4 KMs, and a maximum of 22
- Slab rated monthly route bus pass to the students above 12 years and
- Studying in High Schools and Colleges of rural areas, to a maximum distance
of 20 kms and 35 kms. Respectively.
- Free Bus Pass to the physically handicapped, mentally retarded, blind, deaf
and dumb persons in cities.
- Free Bus Pass to the mentally retarded, blind, dumb and deaf persons
- Rural areas and 50% concession on fare for their escorts and 50% concession
normal fare to the physically handicapped persons.
- Slab rated General Bus ticket passes are issued in 3 categories viz.,
Ordinary, metroexpress and metroliner validating the holders of the passes
to perform unrestricted journeys by the service applicable for which it is valid.
- Greater Hyderabad Passes in twin cities, "KRISHNAVENI DARSHAN"
in Vijayawada and "VISAKA DARSHAN" in Visakapatnam cities are issued
to perform unrestricted travel by city / suburban buses operating in that
city in addition to avail the facility by district ordinary buses upto the
destination and vice versa for which the ticket is purchased.
- Free Bus Pass to the Freedom Fighters of A>P> who crossed 65 years
of age and receiving pension either from the Government of A.P. or Government
- Monthly season tickets are issued to the regular commuters like office goers,
students, Businessmen etc., in rural area upto a maximum distance of 100 kms.
(20 stages). These passes are two types viz., Ordinary & Express monthly
- Special General Bus Tickets in cities / towns to the students who are studying
job oriented courses.
- Free Bus Travel facility to the accredited Journalists within twin cities
and Rangareddy District and for other Journalists based on eligibility at
2/3 concession on normal fare.
Passenger Friendly Schemes
1. Free Travel in City Buses:
Passengers who are in possession of advance reservation ticket can travel free
on all types of city buses 2 hours before the departure time from their place
of residence to Mahatma Gandhi Bus Station / Jubilee Bus Station.
Free travel from place of residence to MGBS is also permitted
on District Services starting from peripheral areas like BHEL, KPHB, Jeedimetla,
A.S. Rao Nagar etc.,
(Travel Regularly and Earn an Additional (Free) Trip Scheme
Travel Regularly and Earn an Additional (Free) Trip Scheme (TREATS)
was launched on May20, 1996 or route Hyderabad - Vijayawada for the benefit
of those regular / frequent travelers in between Hyderabad and Vijayawada. On
becoming a member of the scheme, and after performing 5 fare paid single trips
in a span of 60 days, an additional single trip i.e., the sixth one will be
provided absolutely "FREE" of charge.
In response to the public demand the TREAT scheme has also been extended on
route Hyderabad - Bangalore from 1.3.2001.
3. JET (Jubile Express / Hi-Tech Tickets)
The scheme was launched on the eve of Golden Jubilee celebrations of Indian
Independence, i.e., 15th August 1997.
The JET envisages two types of bus traveling viz., HITECH & EXPRESS.
|| 7 Days
|| 7 Days
These tickets can be comfortably availed to suit an individual's
travel options with particular reference to pilgrimage, sight seeing, or need
based places of interest.
The ticket holders will have an added facility of priority in reservation and
any number of break journeys with in stipulated 7 days period.
Jubilee Express tickets are valid on City, Sub-urban district
ordinary / Express buses only. Jubilee Hi-tech tickets are valid on all types
of buses within the State except A>C. buses. These tickets are valid for
seven days. A deposit of Rs.50/- per adult and Rs.25/- per child will be collected
and this deposit is refundable before 17.00 hours on the following day of the
validity period. Cancellation/ Modification of the ticket is not allowed. Overwriting,
alterations, etc., results in confiscation of tickets, besides treating the
passenger as ticket less traveler for all purposes.
4. Cat Cards:
A new scheme christened "Concessional Annual Travel (CAT) Card" was
launched on 01.01.2000
a) The tariff of the card is Rs.150/-
b) The validity period is for one year from the date of issue.
c) The travel card is valid on all types of Mofussil services.
d) The card-holder will get concession of 10% on fare and an additional compensation
of Rs.1.00 lakh in case of death while traveling in APSRTC buses apart from
the statutory compensation.
e) The concession is made applicable on all types of Mofussil services.
5. Free Travel for Passengers Boarding / Alighting at peripheral points.
For the convenience of the passengers residing at peripheral areas of twin
cities, to which places the long distance services are operated, the passengers
could conveniently board and alight at any of the enroute points with the fare
payable upto Mahatma Gandhi Bus Station / Jubilee Bus Station.
6. Telephone Reservations:
In order to facilitate the passenger to save travel time, to and from bus station,
the Telephone Reservation system has been introduced. The desirous passengers
could confirm 3 days in advance the seat Reservation through the telephone No.s
4613955 (MGBS); 7802203 (JBS); 4042353 (DSNR)
However, the seats so kept reserved will be released one hour before the departure
of the services, in case the telephone reserved passenger doesn't turn up.
7. Computerized Reservation facility in twin cities
In order to make the ticket reservation facility nearer and commuters,
Computerized Reservation outlets at the peripheral and other residential localities
have been provided. As of now, 40 Computerized Reservations counters are available
in twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad
Details of all the Reservation outlets are furnished at Page No. 14.
8. Return Journey Ticket System:
Return Journey Ticket System with 10% concession on return journey fare on
routes Hyderabad - Vijayawada; Hyderabad - Bangalore; Hyderabad - Tirupathi;
Hyderabad - Adilabad; Tirupathi - Vijayawada is provided and return journey
tickets without concession is also available on other important routes.
Details of all the Return Journey Services with out fare concession are furnished
at Page No. 21.
9. GIFT (Gain instant free travel) Scheme:
GIFT (Gain Instant Free Travel) Scheme was introduced on route Hyderabad -
Vijayawada w. e. f. 1.7.2001. Under this scheme a passenger will be selected
through lucky dip conducted at terminal points, i.e., Dilsukhnagar in Hyderabad,
PNBS in Vijayawada. The lucky passenger will be allowed to travel free with
a gift voucher, subject to the occupancy exceeding 70%, (i.e., above 25 seats)
10. Monthly Season Tickets:
To provide concessional travel to the daily commuters in Mofussil
area, Season tickets system was introduced. Under this system, a commuter can
pay fare for 20 days and travel for entire month. These tickets are made available
on all days through out the month at the depots and valid for 30 days from the
date of purchase.
Rules of Reservation and refund
A) Reservation :
The facility of advance reservation of tickets is available ten days before
intended journey date for Hi-Tech, Luxury and Express services. The reservation
charge for each seat is Rs.15/-
B) Refunds :
On surrender of the Advance Reservation tickets, the refund of fare will be
arranged at the following slabs.
||Advance Notice of Cancellation
||Deduction To be made
||Upto two hours before Schedule departure of the Bus
||Only Reservation Charge
||Two hours before and Upto schedule departure of the bus
|| 10% of Actual fare +reservation charge
|| Upto one hour after schedule departure of the bus.
|| 25% of the Actual fare +reservation charge
C) Preponement / Postponement :
The date of journey on reserved tickets can be either preponed or postponed
without collecting service charges upto (two) 2 hrs before departure of the
service subject to availability of seats. However the permissible period is
only 10 days, This facility can be availed only once.
Subsequent cancellation on this facility is also permitted with refunds as
PASSENGER FRIENDLY SCHEMES IN APSRTC
- CAT CARDS:
A new scheme christened "Concessional Annual Travel (CAT) Card" was launched
- The tariff of the card was initially Rs.150/- and it has been enhanced
to Rs.200/- w.e.f.1.3.2002.
- The validity period is for one year from the date of issue.
- The Travel Card is valid on all types of Mofussil services.
- The card holder will get concession of 10% on fare and an additional compensation
of Rs.1.50 lakh in case of death while traveling in our buses apart from
the statutory compensation of accident claim.
- The concession is made applicable on all fare slabs except on minimum
fare slab for all types of mofussil services.
- JET (JUBILEE EXPRESS/HI-TECH TICKETS):
This scheme was launched on the eve of Golden Jubilee celebrations of Indian's
Independence i.e., 15th Aug, 97. There are two types of JET Tickets i.e., Express
(valid in all types of Express and ordinary services) and Hi-tech (valid in
all Hi-tech, Luxury, Express, Ordinary & Mofussil services) with validity for
7 days to travel any where in Andhra Pradesh.
The tariff of Jubilee Express Ticket is Rs.525/- and Jubilee Hi-tech Ticket
- MONTHLY SEASON TICKETS:
To provide concessional travel to the daily commuters in mofussil area, SEASON
TICKET SYSTEM was introduced. Under this system, a commuter can pay fare for
20 days and travel for entire commuter can pay fare for 20 days and travel for
entire month. These tickets are made available on all days throughout the month
and valid for 30 days from the date of purchase. Thus, giving a concession of
Concession given on Bus Passes extended to various sections of society are:
- Students below 12 years of Age extended 100% concession.
- Free travel bus passes to girl students studying up to class x and below
are extended 100% concession.
- Student passes in cities/towns - slab rate concession working out to 75%
- Students of High-schools/colleges - slab rate concession working out to
75% fare concession.
- Special general bus tickets - slab rated passes - concession working out
to 40% concession.
- Exclusive trips to special schools - slab rated bus passes - working out
to 60% concession fare.
- Physically handicapped bus passes - 100% concession extended on city routes,
whereas 50% concession only on mofussil areas.
- Greater Hyderabad Pass - 75% concession extended only to students.
- RETURN JOURNEY TICKETS:
- RETURN JOURNEY TICKET SYSTEM:
Introduced Return Journey Ticket system with 10% concession on Return Journey
fare on routes, Hyderabad-Vijayawada, Hyderabad-Bangalore, Hyderabad-Tirupati,
Hyderabad-Adilabad, Tirupati-Vijayawada and Hyderabad-Bhadrachalam. Later
on this scheme has been extended to other routes of Hyderabad-Kakinada and
- RETURN JOURNEY TICKETS WITHOUT CONCESSION:
Return journey tickets without concession are also available on the routes
of Hyderabad-Shirdi, Hyderabad-Puttaparti, Hyderabad-Mangalore, Hyderabad-Davanagere,
- LINK TICKET SYSTEM/RETURN JOURNEY TICKET FACILITY TO TIRUMALA AND TIRUPATI:
On reaching Tirupati (to avoid waiting in queue for purchase of tickets to proceed
to Tirumala), the system of link tickets (Rs.16/- for ordinary and Rs.20/- for
Express) to Tirumala has been introduced. These tickets are available at all
the advance reservation counters and with the service conductors of Tirupati
Similarly, both up & down journeys ticket ordinary Rs.32/- , Express Rs.40/-
can be purchased for onward and return journey from Tirupati to Tirumala. (These
tickets are sold at all our Bus stations and through conductors of Tirupati
- TREATS (TRAVEL REGULARLY AND EARN AN ADDITIONAL (FREE) TRIP SCHEME:
A Scheme nomenclature"TREATS" (Travel Regularly and Earn an Additional (free)
Trip Scheme) was introduced with effect from 20th May, 1996 on the route Hyderabad
- Vijayawada targeting frequent travelers Under this scheme, a member of frequent
plier programme will be extended a free trip after performing 5 fare paid trips
in a period of 60 days, thus, giving a concession of 16.66%. Subsequently the
TREAT Scheme was extended to Hyderabad - Bangalore route w.e.f. 01.03.2001 as
there are considerable number of frequenters on this route. So far 2039 passengers
have been enrolled under this scheme on route HYD-VJA(at PNBS) & 1089 (at MGBS)
and for the route HYD-Bangalore 46 (at Bangalore) & 245 (at MGBS).
- TELEPHONE RESERVATION AND HOME DELIVERY OF RESERVED TICKETS:
The system of reservation of tickets on telephone and door delivery has been
introduced from the year 1995. As on date, this facility was offered to 25 cities/towns
like Vijayawada, Hyderabad, Guntur, Anantapur, Bangalore, Cuddapah, Eluru, Kakinada
- BOOKING TICKETS:
- COMPUTERIZED TICKET BOOKING POINTS IN TWIN CITIES:
To extend ticket reservation facility to the doorsteps of the customer and
to improve the sale of tickets in twin cities, the scheme of computerized
reservation system was introduced during the year, 1998. As on date 37 computerized
ticket booking agents are functioning and for another 14 points tenders
have been finalized and counters will be established within few days. Totally
51 Computerized ticket booking centers will be available apart from MGBS,
JBS and Dilsukhnagar.
Through the private computer ticket booking agents, daily 2019 tickets are
sold on an average realizing an amount of Rs.3,23,727/-.
- AUTHORISED TICKET BOOKING AGENCY SYSTEM IN DISTRICTS:
To strengthen the Booking system in districts and also to provide the facility
of ticket booking at the residential localities, the Authorised Ticket Booking
Agency system in Districts has been introduced from the year, 1995. As on
date, 450 booking agents are functioning through out the state.
- CANCELLATION AND REFUND RULES:
- Upto 2 hours before schedule departure time of service, entire fare will
be refunded deducting reservation charges.
- Two hours before and upto schedule departure time of service, 90% fare
will be refunded duly deducting reservation charges.
- Upto 1 hour after schedule departure of the bus, 75% fare will be refunded
duly deducting reservation charges.
- ADVANCE RESERVATION OF TICKETS THROUGH CREDIT CARDS:
Credit card facility has been introduced to issue advance reservation of tickets
on the strength of credit cards has been implemented at MGBS/Hyderabad and JBS/Secunderabad
w.e.f. 1.12.2001 duly having a tie up with Citi-Bank.
The salient features of the credit card are:
- Facility to buy tickets on production of credit cards at reservation counters
at MGBS, (Hyderabad) and JBS(Secunderabad).
- All Master / Visa Cards are accepted.
- No need to pay service charges by Credit Card holders.
- Exclusive Reservation Counters are provided for Credit card holders to
This facility is being extended soon to Bangalore, Vijayawada and Visakhapatnam
- PROVISION OF NEWSPAPERS TO THE PASSENGERS OF LONG DISTANCE HI-TECH SERVICES
To enhance the passengers' satisfaction, newspapers (free of cost) are being
provided to the passengers traveling in Hitech services departing between 4.00
am and 8.00 a.m. from all major Bus Stations.
- PASSENGER RESPONSE CARDS :
Passenger Response Cards are designed to collect passengers' feed back and for
taking remedial steps to improve passengers' satisfaction.
- PRE-PAID POST CARDS :
Feed back from passengers by administering prepaid post cards for collecting
opinion / perception of passengers to improve quality of Bus services.
- TRAVEL AS YOU LIKE TICKETS - FOR UTILIZATION AT TIRUPATI :
Travel As You Like and Return Journey Tickets are designed for the convenience
of passengers visiting Tirupati. Following three ( types of ) package tickets
have been designed duly covering the important pilgrim places around Triupati.
T A R I F F
- PACKAGE TOURS :
A new system of package tours starting from District Head Quarters to important
pilgrim places within the Districts with flat fare have been introduced in Kurnool
and KRMR Districts to promote tourism and for optimum utilization of spare buses.
- FREE TRAVEL IN CITY SERVICES:
- Free travel facility is provided to passengers holding long distance advance reservation tickets from their residence to boarding bus station.
- As a passenger friendly measure, it is decided to collect the same fare
applicable from / to the bus station from the passengers traveling from
places beyond the bus stations but within municipal limits in case of other
cities and towns and 40 kms (upto BHEL) incase of Hyderabad/Secunderabad
from IBS/JBS for all long distance services.
- HAIL AND BOARD:
All the ordinary district buses will be stopped wherever the passengers intend to board the bus.
- VALUE ADDITION (SHIRDI):
In order to thwart the private operators and to improve the occupancy in our buses, accommodation linked facility is provided duly having tie up with hotels at Shirdi on routes HYD-Shirdi, VJA-Shirdi and Kurnool - Shirdi by extending 10% concession in fare for both up and down journeys. 10% concession is also available for those passengers who purchase to and fro tickets without accommodation. This facility will come into force w.e.f. 1.6.2002.