GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRA PRADESH
MUNICIPAL ADMINISTRATION AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT (ELEC.II)DEPARTMENT
G.O.Ms.No.309 Dated 11 -04-2005
Read the following:
1.From the District collector D.O.Lr.No.Cllr.Peshi/2005, dated 15.2.2005.
2.From the Commissioner &Director of Municipal Administration
Lr.Rc.No.18306/2004/Elec.1, dated 24.2.2005.
The Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration has stated that in the Andhra Pradesh Municipal Corporations (Fixation of Criteria for Specification of larger Urban Areas) Rules, 1994 issued in G.O.Ms.No. 449 M.A. dated 18.8.1994, the following criteria is fixed for declaration of larger urban area for constitution of a Municipal corporation.
(a) Population : 4.00 lakhs provided that a Municipality with lesser population may also be considered, if it is of regional importance or has to play a significant role in regional development by virtue of its strategic location.
(b) Density of population : 10,000 per Sq.Km. provided that a Municipality with a lesser
density of population may also be considered if it is of regional importance or has to play a significant role. In regional
development by virtue of its strategic location.
(c) Revenue : Rs.4.00 Crores and above.
(d) Percentage of population Not less than 85%
engaged in non-agricultural :
(e) Economic importance : Established industries potential for growth of industries, commerce higher education, medical facilities and adequate infrastructure necessary for economic and Industrial growth.
(f) Other Factors : The number of peripheral villages whose growth and expansion are towards the proposed larger urban area.
2. The Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration has stated that the following criteria exist in Tirupathi Municipality
2,27,657 ( as per 2001 census)
b) Density of population per Sq.Km.
d) Percentage of population engaged in non-agricultural activates.
e) Economic importance
a) Important centers for education: S.V.University, Sri Padmavathi Mahila University, Agricultural University College, Sanskrit Vidya Peet, Sri Venkateswara medical College etc.
b) Important Centers for Medical Care: RUIA Hospital, SVIMS, BIRRD Hospital and Ayurvedic colleges etc.
c) Important Centre for Trade and Commerce for Chittoor and surrounding districts.
d) Land and property prices have increased multifold in recent years.
i) Other factors
The Collector and District Magistrate has stated that the spiraling growth in the number of pilgrims visiting Tirumala and other temples in Tirupati and the surrounding areas has led to incremental expansion in trade, commerce, hospitality and travel related services in recent years. The potential for continued growth in the above areas and also in new avenues in the related areas is extremely bright.
3. According to Section 2 (d) of Andhra Pradesh Municipal Corporations Act, 1994, larger Urban area means such area as the Governor may, having regard to the population of the area, the density of the population therein, the revenue generated for local administration, the percentage of employment in non-agricultural activities, the economic importance or such other factors as may be prescribed, specify by notification for the purposes of this Act.
4. According to Section 3 (1) of the aforesaid Act, 1994 where a notification is issued by the Governor specifying an area as a larger urban area under Clause (d) of Section 2, a Corporation shall be deemed to have been constituted for such area.
5. As per the particulars received from the Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration, it is observed that the particulars of Tirupathi Municipality are in accordance with the Andhra Pradesh Municipal Corporations (fixation of criteria for specification of large urban areas) Rules, 1994 issued in G.O.Ms.No.449, MA &UD (Elec.I), dt.18.8.1994, except in case of population and it is open to the Government to consider the Municipality with lesser population as larger urban area.
6. After considering the particulars furnished by the Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration, Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad, the Government is of the opinion to constitute Tirupathi Municipal Corporation and to abolish the Tirupathi Municipality under sub section (1) of section 3-A of the Andhra Pradesh Municipalities Act,1965.
7. Now therefore, notice is hereby given as required under proviso(a) to sub section(1) of section 3-A of the Andhra Pradesh Municipalities Act, 1965, to the Municipal Council, Tirupathi as to why the Tirupathi Municipality shall not be abolished under section 3-A of A.P. Municipalities Act, 1965, as it fulfilled the criteria to specify the areas covered under Tirupathi Municipality as larger, Urban area. The explanation or objections, if any, should reach the Principal Secretary to Government, Municipal Administration and Urban Development Department. A.P. Secretariat, Hyderabad, within 10 days from the date of receipt of this order. If no reply is received within the above stipulated period, it will be construed that there is no explanation to offer in this matter and further action will be taken as per the material available with Government.
(BY ORDER AND IN THE NAME OF THE GOVERNOR OF ANDHRA PRADESH)
SECRETERY TO GOVERNMENT
The Chairperson, Municipal Council, Tirupathi Municipality
The Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration,
The Commissioner, Tirupathi Municipality.
The Law (A)Department.
//FORWARDED BY ORDER//