GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRA PRADESH
Elections to Water Users Associations - Constitution of the Water Users Associations to such of the Minor Irrigation sources of I &CAD Department having more than 100 Acres of ayacut - Orders - Issued.
IRRIGATION AND COMMAND AREA DEVELOPMENT (CAD IV) DEPARTMENT
G.O.Ms.No. 42 Dated : 31-03-2003
Read the following:-
1. G.O.Ms.No. 288, Irrigation (IRR.VI) Department, dated 27-06-1983.
2. APFMIS Act 1997, Amended in A.P Ordinance 10 of 2002, dated 21-12-2002.
O R D E R :-
The Commissioner, Command Area Development observed that as per the revised set up Water Users Associations, Minor Irrigation sources have to be divided in to 6 Territorial Constituencies. For tanks having 100 Acres of ayacut, the average ayacut per Territorial Constituency will be less than 17 Acres only for each Territorial Constituency. If Water Users Association is to be formed even for such sources, elections have to be conducted for 6 Territorial Constituencies (with one third retiring once every two years) and to the President & Vice-President. It is also necessary to appoint two competent authorities (one from Irrigation and the other from Agriculture Departments) also to such Water Users Associations as per the Act. As such the financial implications to maintain such Water Users Associations will outweigh the financial position of the Water Users Associations of such tanks and there may not be any use of creating Water Users Associations to such tanks. Hence it may be desirable to prescribe a minimum ayacut of 100 Acres for forming Water Users Associations in Minor Irrigation Systems.
2. In the G.O. 1st read above, Government directed that all the Minor Irrigation sources having an ayacut up to 100 Acres shall be under the control of the Chief Engineer, Panchayat Raj Department and as per the amendments carried out in the Andhra Pradesh Ordinance 10 of 2002, dated 21-12-2002 of A.P.F.M.I.S. Act 1997, all the Water Users Associations under Minor Irrigation source shall have to be delineated into six territorial constituencies. It has come to the notice of the Government that there are number of Minor Irrigation sources having less than 100 Acres of ayacut under I&CAD Department also. In view of the above several District Collectors have requested to fix up minimum ayacut for the constitution of Water User Associations in Minor Irrigation systems.
3. The Government after careful consideration of above request of Commissioner, Command Area Development, hereby direct that the Water User Associations be constituted only to such of the Minor Irrigation systems having ayacut of more than 100 Acres.
4. The Commissioner, Command Area Development is requested to take action accordingly.
( BY ORDER AND IN THE NAME OF THE GOVERNOR OF ANDHRA PRADESH)
SECRETARY TO GOVERNMENT
The Commissioner, CAD, Irrigation & CAD. Department.,
Jalasoudha Building, Errummanzil,
Copy to all Chief Engineers of Irrigation & CAD Dept.
Copy to all Superintending Engineers, Irrigation Circles, I & CAD Dept.
Copy to all District Collectors.
// FORWARDED BY ORDER //