GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRA PRADESH
HANDLOOMS AND TEXTILES DEPARTMENT - Problems of Weavers of Prakasam and Guntur District - Request of the Weavers Association to writ off the consumption loan along with the interest given to the Weavers in 1989 at the time of starvation deaths - Request examined - Orders - Issued.
INDUSTRIES AND COMMERCE (TEX)DEPARTMENT
Read the following:-
1.Government D.O.Lr.No.25629/Tex.2/98-1, dated18-12-1998.
2. From the Deputy General Manager(L&A), TheAndhra Pradesh
State Cooperative Bank Limited, LetterNo.Adv/Sectt/WCF-157,dated 29-1-1999.
3.From the Commissioner and Director of Handloomsand Textiles, Letter Rc.No.1792/89-01, dated 12-2-1999.
O R D E R :
The State Government are implementing variousschemes for the upliftment and welfare of Handloom Weavers in the State. Series of meetinghave been organised at different forums at different levels with the representatives ofthe Weavers Association to sort out their problems. Based on the concensus arrived at inthe said meetings, the State Government have been issuing orders to mitigate the hardshipbeing faced by the Handloom Weavers. In one of the meetings held, the Handloom Weavers ofthe Prakasam and Guntur Districts represented to the Government to writ off theconsumption loan together with interest given by the Banks to the Handloom Weavers of theDistricts in the year 1989 at the time of starvation deaths.
2 In his letter second read above, when asked theDeputy General Manager (L&A) of the Andhra Pradesh State Cooperative Bank hasfurnished to the Government details of the names, amount of loan outstanding provided tothe Handloom Weavers year-wise, the PACS-wise, Mandal-wise by the District CooperativeCentral Banks of Prakasam and Guntur Districts.
3. In his letter third read above, theCommissioner and Director of Handlooms and Textiles has furnished to the Government thefollowing information in regard to the loans sanctioned by the concerned DistrictCooperative Central Banks of Prakasam and Guntur Districts.
|S.No||Name of the District||No. of cases||Amount of consumption loan sanctioned||Amount of Principal loan outstanding as on 31-12-98||Interest outstanding as on 31-12-98||Over dues as on 31-12-98 |
Rs. Ps. Rs. Ps.
|Rs.21,16,977||Rs.20,97,115||Rs.26,74,105||20,97,115 26,74,105.44 |
|Name of the District||No. of cases||Amount of consumption loan sanctioned||Amount of Principal loan outstanding as on 30-9-98||Interest outstanding as on 30-9-98||Over dues as on 31-9-98 |
Rs. Ps. Rs. Ps.
The Commissioner and Director of Handlooms andTextiles has also furnished to the Government a list containing the names and addresses ofthe Handloom Weavers of Prakasam and Guntur Districts.
4. The State Government have examined the matterI detail. In view of the woes of the Handloom Weavers of Prakasam and Guntur Districts inthe context of the starvation deaths in the year 1989, the Government have decided to payto the Andhra Pradesh State Cooperative Bank on behalf of the Handloom Weavers of Prakasamand Guntur Districts, the total amount of consumption loan together with interestoutstanding as on 31-12-1998 and to write off the said amount as a gesture of relief tothe said Weavers.
5. Accordingly, the Government hereby sanction anamount of Rs.60,20,818.50 Ps. (Rupees sixty lakhs twenty thousand eight hundred eighteenand fifty paise only) (Rs.25,86,544/- Principal + Rs.34,34,274.50 Interest) to AndhraPradesh State Cooperative Bank Limited (APCOB) in settlement of the loan amount of theHandloom Weavers of Prakasam and Guntur District as per the records maintained by theconcerned District Cooperative Central Banks.
6. The Government also hereby write of the totalamount of Rs.60,20,818-50 Ps. dues to them from the Handloom Weavers on account of thepayment being arranged to the Andhra Pradesh State Cooperative Bank Limited as mentionedin para 5 above.
7. The expenditure sanctioned in para 5 above,shall be debited to the following Head of Account:-
"2851 - Village and Small Industries -
MH.103 - Handloom Industries -
SH(5) - Assistance to Handloom Weavers towardsrepayment
of loan to Banks (to be opened)
092- Other Grants-in-aid".
and shall initially be met by an advance from theContingency Fund. Orders regarding which will be issued by Finance and Planning (Fin.Wing. BG) Department separately.
8. The Commissioner and Director of Handlooms andTextiles is authorised to draw the amount sanctioned in para 5 above by way of cheque infavour of the concerned authorities in Andhra Pradesh State Cooperative Bank under properacknowledgement.
9. The Commissioner and Director of Handlooms andTextiles is requested to send necessary proposals for obtaining supplementary grant duringthe current financial year to recovery the advance from the Contingency Fund.
10. The Commissioner and Director of Handloomsand Textiles is further requested to ensure that the concerned Handloom Weavers ofPrakasam and Guntur Districts are informed of the above Government orders and see thattheir accounts with the concerned District Cooperative Central Banks are settled inrespect of the nature of the loan covered by this order.
11. This order issues with the concurrence ofFinance and Planning(EBS.IND) Department, vide their U.O.No.25435-A/369/EBS.IND/99, dated18-6-1999.
(BY ORDER AND IN THE NAME OF THE GOVERNOROF ANDHRA PRADESH)
PRINCIPAL SECRETARY TO GOVERNMENT.
The Commissioner and Director of Handlooms andTextiles,
The Deputy General Manager (L&A), A.P.StateCooperative Bank Limited (APCOB),
Troop Bazar, P.B.No.142, Hyderbad.
The Accountant General, A.P.Hyderabad.
The Pay and Accounts Officer, A.P.Hyderabad.
The Director of Treasuries and Accounts,Hyderabad.
The Agriculture and Cooperation Department.
Copy to Finance and Planning (EBS.IND)/(BG)Department.
Copy to SF/Sc.
// FORWARDED :: BY ORDER //